If you’ve been thinking about some kind of remodeling effort for your living room, but aren’t quite sure where to start, it might be worth your while to consider some of the suggestions identified below. All eight of the recommendations included are from expert interior decorators who are in tune with today’s trendiest ideas and patterns for your living room.
- MAKE YOUR LIVING SPACE MORE FUNCTIONALHow do you make your living room more functional? That will depend on how you use the room. If the living room is primarily used as a walk-through space to get to other rooms, then create several clear walkways which are unobstructed. If it’s used for viewing television and for family get-togethers, arrange your seating so that group interaction is easy to accommodate. Then place some coffee tables within easy reach of that seating, so that refreshments can be positioned right near the seated individuals.
- GREATER COMFORTMaking your living room more comfortable is another great way to renovate the room. You might want to install some plush, luxurious furniture for people to sit on, or you might want to put in a thick carpet, for people to rest their feet on. Apart from these approaches though, you can actually make your living space more comfortable by de-cluttering it, and making it seem more warm and usable to household members and guests.
- WORK WITH YOUR COLOR PALETTEYour living room can be made much more soothing and comfortable by using the color palette to its fullest. Painting the living room in a color associated with nature can make the room feel more calming and more relaxing than almost anything else you could do to the room. Add to the color palette with a mixture of different-colored throws, pillows, rugs, and furniture accessories.
- ADD SOME GREEN TOUCHESThere is an endless variety of greens found in nature, and there’s no reason why several of those greens can’t peacefully co-exist in your living room. If you’re an environmentally-conscious kind of person, you could install some eco-friendly furniture, made of renewable materials. The Sustainable Furnishing Council maintains a list of all the most eco-friendly furniture manufacturers, and this would be a great place to start your search.
- TRY SOME UNIQUE PATTERNS OF ACCESSORIZINGAccessorizing can be one of the most fun parts of renovating your living room. You don’t need to have interior decorating skills or any particular knowledge either – you can just go by your personal instincts. There is a huge range of ideas you might try, including the addition of attractive vases and fresh flowers, ceramic displays, curtains, mirrors, and art pieces. Let your imagination run wild!
- UPGRADE YOUR LIGHTINGWell thought-out lighting can make your living room much more attractive than it might otherwise be to the average eye. Experiment with ambient lighting, task lighting, and accent lighting to create a soft and relaxing mood in your living room, to emphasize a specific focal point, or to make it easy to work on a laptop, or do some office work at a desk in the room.
- CREATE A FOCAL POINTTo really make your living room stand out, you should attempt to create a focal point for the room. If the room will be used for family video or television viewing, it would be a natural fit to make the video screen a focal point for the room. If the room would have other uses, you might instead emphasize one specific wall and a really engaging painting, or perhaps a large window with a great view.
- USE FLOORING TO BRING IT ALL TOGETHERThe flooring you choose can serve to bring all the elements of your renovated living room together. It can also be highly functional, for instance by installing a hardwood floor which can withstand all the wear and tear of heavy traffic going through the room. Select a flooring system that will complement all the other changes you’ve made to the living room, so you’re left with a cohesive whole at the end of the renovation.
The renovation experts
If you have something major in mind for your living room renovation, or for any other kind of remodeling project in your home, make sure to contact the San Diego home remodeling experts at Wardell Builders . Not only does the firm offer the finest custom-built homes in the San Diego area, but they are also the very best remodeling contractors in the San Diego region. Call today at 858-793-4109 with any inquiries or ideas for renovation that you might have.