As we round out the first month of 2017, it’s a good time to revisit your list of new year’s resolutions as you start prepping for February. While many of us have resolutions that highlight personal hopes and dreams for the year, we would be wise not to forget about the home that we live in, and consider the following resolutions for your home’s overall curb appeal, maintenance, resale value, and functionality for life. You can even plan these ahead throughout the year, and schedule them out, thus ensuring longevity for your abode for years to come.
Plan for Repairs and General Maintenance/Upkeep
A good rule of thumb is to plan to save/spend $2,500-$7,500 per year for a $250,000 home, according to data from several sources.. Depending on the value of your home, do the math and budget accordingly. Your home will thank you with appreciation in overall value, less major repairs in the future, and overall longevity.
Reduce Energy Use
A home can be a bit like an energy succubus. You’d be wise to do your due diligence in ensuring your home is conserving energy as much as possible. Some good places to start are to:
- Check HVAC ductwork
- Use low energy, or LED lighting
- Implement solar panels whenever possible
- Install a skylight or other day-use lighting
- Replace heating/cooling filters
- Replace old electronics and appliances with energy efficient products
- Install energy efficient showerheads and toilets
- Seal/insulate your home
- Install a tankless water heater
- Use a wood burning stove in the winter
Reduce Water Use
If you’d like to help reduce your water usage, simple home renovations are a good place to start. You could install a low flow toilet and showerhead, and other water conserving appliances. Setting up a greywater system for recycling water from those appliances can be used for watering your flowers in your yard, etc.
Improve Air Quality
The quality of air that is being inhaled while in your home is essential. Luckily there are some simple things you can do to improve the quality of air that you breathe in your home, such as:
- Maintaining your HVAC system
- Remodel your rooms with low-VOC paints
- Use localized ventilation in your kitchen and bathrooms to remove fumes
- Burn real firewood in your fireplaces and stoves in place of other pressed wood products which contain harmful chemicals
- Use a portable air purifier
- Place air purifying plants, such as aloe-vera and/or spider plants, around your home
- Place a Himalayan salt lamp in your bedroom
Declutter, Organize and Remodel as Necessary
Lives continue to move forward and change, and so do our needs around the home. That’s why it is important to go through our homes periodically and declutter, organize the things we use, and incorporate a bit of Feng Shui into where these items are placed to increase the flow of positive energy around the home, and make everything easily accessible and convenient for your life. You may even want to accomplish some of these things with a remodel from time to time, depending on your unique needs.
Getting your home together isn’t always an easy task. That’s why it may help to hire reputable San Diego custom home builders to help. Whether it’s a home remodeling project, or home maintenance and repair, San Diego home builders are available to assist you every step of the way. For more information on services, pricing or design ideas call (858) 793-4190 or fill out our contact form. We look forward to seeing you.